6 Simple Tips to Get Your Study Habits Back On Track

By now, majority of the country has probably switched to distance-learning via online platforms in the wake of the COVID 19 crisis. While having solely online classes may seem like a gift from above for some students, it can be very nerve wrecking and stressful for others. Online courses don't necessarily mesh well with everyone's learning style or attention span, but I do think it is possible to be successful in this abrupt switch to remote learning despite the challenges that may come with it.
I personally take at least two online classes each semester because I find that it just works best for me to have a few courses that I don't physically have to go sit and listen to a lecture for. It definitely took a little while for me to adjust to the online course setting, but now I actually prefer it.

With all of that being said, I just wanted to share some tips that worked for me when I started taking online courses.
1. Get off of your phone
Yes this one is going to be really hard to do, but it's completely necessary. Scrolling through Instagram or Twitter while you're supposed to be taking notes or reading an article is the absolute worst distraction. A quick 5 minute break can quickly turn into 45 minutes of aimless scrolling and then you're all off task. I try to set my phone across the room from me if I really need to focus, that way it isn't as tempting as it would be if it was sitting right in my face.

2. Put on some music
If listening to music helps you focus or helps you tune out distractions, go for it. I have to have music playing when I do work, otherwise any small noise could distract me. The trick is to either put together a great playlist so that you don't have to worry about picking up your phone every 5 minutes to find a new song, or you could just do what I do and throw your library on shuffle so something is continuously playing.

3. Go somewhere quiet
If listening to music doesn't work for you, trying going to quiet space if you have access to one. I know right now we're really supposed to stay home, so if there is a quiet space in your house or wherever you are during this time, definitely take advantage of that. If possible, maybe work out times during the day where everyone in the house is quiet or chilling in order to create an optimal space with reduced noise and distractions for you, and whoever else, to get their work done.

4. Have a plan
If you have a day planner, now is the perfect time to bust that sucker out. If not, just make yourself a list in your phone or write it out on paper. Google calendar is also a really good resource for this if you have access to it. The goal is to look at all of your assignments for the week and map out your due dates, as well as designated times and days for you to work on each thing, and then just cross things off the list as you finish them. I like doing this because I can see everything that I need to get done and I can fit studying and doing homework into my schedule to work around my work schedule or anything else I may have to do. Having a plan like this in place not only minimizes procrastination, but also keeps you from forcing yourself to get everything done in one day.

5. Take a break
It's important to give yourself some time to relax and breathe. Maybe after you've read a chapter and taken your notes, set a timer for 30 minutes so you can take some time for yourself before you get started on whatever is next. I have to do this because I have a tendency to try to make myself work nonstop for like 4 hours and then I just end up feeling burnt out by the end of it. You don't have to do that to yourself, and you can and should take breaks whenever you feel like you need one. Eat and snack and watch some funny videos and then get back to it once you feel like you've had a moment to catch your breath and decompress a little bit.

6. Be patient with yourself
We are living in a time filled with uncertainty and stress right now, and I think that any feelings of uneasiness are valid. If it takes you a little while to adjust to how things are going, that is ok. Above all else, it is important to be patient with yourself and know your limits. Pace yourself when it comes to your studies and assignments, allow yourself some buffer time if you can, and don't be too hard on yourself. School in and of itself can be a lot for people to handle at times, myself included, and this abrupt change to the curriculum and learning process bring a lot of stress with it. So, I would say that this is most important tip. Give yourself the time and space to sort things out.

If anyone has any other tips they think would be helpful, feel free to share. Please make sure you are taking care of yourselves in this time, not only for you, but with the health of safety of everyone around you in mind as well. Do whatever you need to do to be safe, and I hope that we can all find ways to be in good spirits. 


Comments

Popular Posts