Something Like an Intro


Before I jump into this, I would just like to say that I am terrible at About Me things, icebreakers, introductions- all of it. So, while this post will probably be a mess, just think of it as something like an intro.
I'm Aaliyah, but most people have just been calling me Alli since I was six years old. I always preferred Alli, but the older I get, Aaliyah starts to grow on me. I'm twenty-two now, and I'm currently in my second year at University of North Carolina Greensboro. I took a gap year (more like three) after graduating high school, so here we are. Anyways, I'm a Human Development and Family Studies major, with a minor is Women's and Gender Studies. I started my first semester thinking that I wanted to be a high school English teacher, and I am so glad I changed my mind because I'm so passionate about what I get to learn and be involved in now, and that's really all I wanted out of my college experience- three cheers for fulfillment! I hope to go on to be a children's advocate and counselor in a low-income school system, and eventually start my own family and children's therapy practice. I also have ideas for a non-profit organization swimming around in my brain, so we'll see ok.

I just want to live my life in a way that enables me to use my voice to advocate for and help others. I've got a lot to say, so I might as well speak up for those who can't.
Enough with the deep-ish stuff, though. Let's get into why I'm even typing this right now. I've always been into writing, for as long as I can remember. I got a Books-a-Million gift card for getting good grades in first grade, and used it to buy my first diary. From that point on, writing was my 'thing,' and it still is. Starting like two years ago, I do this thing where I stop writing for months at a time, and I'm never really sure why. I always have tons of ideas and I write stuff like "write at least once this week" or "post a rant today" on my to-do lists, but it just doesn't happen. My frequent little hiatuses are the reason why I'm starting this new blog. The Gemini in me thinks that maybe if I just abandon my old blog and start over, I'll be able to keep myself interested and be able to pump out content that is meaningful. Again, we'll see how that works out. I'm super excited to see where this one goes, though.
 That's all for now.
- Alli

Comments

Popular Posts