Preparation

*I would just like for it to go on record that it took everything in me not to name this post Preparation H- I don't know why. Also I was voted "most likely to make a joke at an inappropriate time" my sophomore year of high school- one of my many accolades.*



Anyway, a new year is coming up so I figured it's time to brace myself for impact, and what better way to do that than to overshare on the internet? I have never been one to make New Year's resolutions because I have a bit of an issue with consistency, which is funny when you think about it because that's something I could resolve to work on, but I digress. So, instead of a resolution, I've decided to put together a to-do list of sorts. These are things for me to-do if I feel inclined to work on myself in this upcoming year.
I should also note that I only ever finish about 1/3 of my to-do list before i crumple it up and write a new one, but I am hopeful that I will stick to this one. We'll see, guys.
I want to split this up into areas of my life and then specific characteristics or traits to work on within those areas, if that makes sense. Just keep reading, ok- it'll come together.

Mental Health (you should have seen this one coming)
It is absolutely no secret that I struggle with my mental health, and those struggles have increased a considerable amount in the past few years. I'm not sure if that's because I'm in my twenties now or if it's something else. Anyway, that's not really important. What I really want to focus on in the upcoming year is my tendency to minimize what I'm going through or invalidate my own feelings, because I do both of those things quite a bit. It's never intentional. I think that I just fixate on telling myself that I don't have time to be depressed or that sitting with my anxiety will get in the way of everything else I have to do or focus on. What's crazy is, I do it when I don't even have anything to do or to focus one. It's like it's just kind of engrained in my brain and it's going to take some unlearning and introspection to find healthier ways to cope. That is one thing on my 2020 to-do list that I am fully committed to. I am prioritizing my mental health above all else. It is a nonnegotiable.

Food
I'm going to be completely candid for a second. I eat like shit- pure shit, and I need to stop because I hate it. This past summer, I literally ate buffalo chicken cheese fries with extra buffalo sauce four days in a row. If that doesn't speak to my problem, then I don't know what will. Majority of the time I eat what's quick and what's cheap, so basically a Wendy's 4 for $4 at least twice a week (I am actually gagging now that I think about it). I eat places like Moe's when I want something a little more healthy, but even that is kind of unacceptable to eat regularly when you need to be eating healthier. So, this year I am going to eat better. I'm going to put in the work to come up with a meal plan that works for me. I'm not going to be on that super health freak meal prep wave, but I am definitely about to get back into eating real good food. I blame college for my terrible eating habits, but it's fine because I know I'm not the only one and I know it's fixable. Also, random fun fact, I actually prefer to not eat meat- like I don't really care for meat very much unless I have a wild burger craving. So with that being said, I really want to broaden my horizons and try being vegetarian again. Except this time, I want to incorporate alternative protein sources so that I'm not just cutting out meat and leaving myself with minimal food options. I still want to pig out, just on healthier grub. It's going to be a challenge, but luckily I'll be able to cook for myself this semester since I will be living in an apartment. This is one of those things on the to-do list that I may have a little bit of difficulty sticking to, but I am going to do my darnedest to keep it up.

Indulgence
Raise your hand if you don't let yourself have fun or enjoy things very often because you feel like you're slacking off or wasting time/money. I am raising both of my hands, figuratively of course because I can't type with my toes. Anyways, I struggle with this a lot and I think it's because I always feel like there is something more important I should be doing or that the money I spent on myself is the only thing keeping me from dying in the apocalypse. Recently, I have come to learn that it is ok to indulge a little bit and spoil myself. I want to get to a place where I don't make myself feel guilty for taking days off or for pampering myself, because I truly do deserve those things. I feel like I have to remind myself of that literally every four months, and I hate repeating myself, but I'll do it if that's what it takes for me to cut myself some slack sometimes.

School
My only gripe with how I've been handling school is that I have been prioritizing it over my health and wellbeing, even though I swear that I don't. I have to remind myself that college is not more important than me. A bachelor's degree is not more important than how I am or how I feel, and that's just the truth. I will always do the best that I can and take my education seriously, but in 2020, I will no longer be sweeping my health under the rug for school. If I need to miss a day of class to take care of myself, then so be it. If I need to put off doing an assignment for a moment to get myself together, then so be it. UNCG is not about to stress me to my wit's end this semester, or any semester after that. I am sticking to this one for sure, and all of you have permission to scold me if I don't.

The Blog
This one will be short and sweet. I want to start bringing you guys content more consistently and work my way up to posting a few times a week because I have a ton of ideas for posts that I'm really excited to share. That is all.

I think I covered all of my major points, but of course there's always more to work on when it comes to living a healthier and more fulfilling life, which is really all I'm working towards. I hope that this new year brings clarity and abundance for all of you, and as always, thank you for reading.

Comments

Popular Posts