Laying Low

It's been a few weeks since I've posted anything, but here I am. I had been writing nonstop in journals, but just hadn't felt up to posting anything here on the blog. I don't know if I just wasn't feeling inspired or I wanted a break, either way, I'm back- and I even posted a short piece earlier today.
I kind of just want to talk about laying low, or this concept of "moving in silence" that I'm sure we've all heard about on social media or through some other means. I want to start by saying that it is perfectly ok to talk about your accomplishments and things you are proud of. I also think that speaking positive things into existence for yourself is extremely beneficial in the sense that it's good to remind yourself that you deserve and are capable of good things.
I agree with "moving in silence" to a certain extent.
I'm the type of person who can sometimes be hesitant to share good things going on in my life. Part of it is because I always kind of feel weird patting myself on the back (I'm working on it. I know), and the other part is because I'm all too familiar with these going south after I've talked about how great they are. I think that second part is what drives people to keep things to themselves. There is also this notion that for everything good experience or opportunity you share, there is a ton of people who are watching you with ill intent. Thinking about that piece of it always makes me feel kind of weary of my place in the world and in people's lives because you never truly know who is rooting for you and supporting you out of sincerity, and who is just waiting for you to fall. It really is a cynical way to think of things, and I think that thought process is what has fueled this whole "moving in silence" thing.  On one hand, of course it's good to celebrate good fortune and new opportunities that come your way. It's in our nature to be excited about favorable things that happen in our lives and to want to share them with others.
While on the other hand,  I guess it's good not to put all of your eggs in one basket and celebrate or share good news prematurely, or to be cautious about who you share that news with. I can't seem to shake the feeling that keeping things to yourself like that is kind of bad for you- like you're supposed to get negative thoughts and feelings off of your chest, right? So why not do the same when something positive is going on? I'm honestly torn completely down the middle because I have times where I just want to shout my good news from the roof tops. I'll post about it on social media and I'll talk to friends about it- just share it with the whole wide world. However, I also have times where I just keep things to myself. I don't want to jinx the opportunity or I don't want anyone to put anything negative into the universe that may jeopardize whatever it is I have going on. The power of words is beyond what any of us could fathom and I think that's what makes it so scary. Just as easy as I can speak something into existence for myself, a person's ill wishes for me could take that away. I don't think that there is anyone out there who would just wish bad things on me, but that's the thing though- I would honestly never really know. In a perfect reality, of course it would be better to not have to keep these things to yourself and to not have to worry about others hoping that bad things happen to you. This is isn't a perfect reality, though and these are things that people honestly have to think about when it comes down to whether or not they're comfortable with sharing things- whether it be on social media or with people in their lives.
I get that this is probably sounding like a rant, but I guess my point is that there really is no right or wrong way to do it. Don't deny yourself the gratification of celebrating or sharing any of your successes and good fortune. I think it's ok to talk about things you are proud of or happy about. Honestly, it's probably a really healthy thing to do, especially when you're doing it from a place of gratitude for who or whatever made the opportunities possible for you. Also just be sure that you're not sharing to the extent that you're stepping on others' feelings or belittling their progress just because they haven't attained the success or opportunity that you have. Adversely, if there are things you aren't comfortable sharing or if you don't want to speak on a good thing too early, it is perfectly ok to be tight lipped about it. I just think it's important not to let the fear of others waiting for you to fall be the deciding factor in whether or not you are vocal about the good things going on in your life. Truthfully, for every person waiting for you to fall, there are probably ten people there waiting to lift you up that you don't even know about. What really matters, in my opinion, is being able to discern who is worth sharing your good news with- the people in who will share in your joy and wholeheartedly support you.
If you want to shout your good news from the roof tops, have at it. If you're more comfortable with laying low, do your thing. I think both of them are completely ok.

Comments

Popular Posts