Getting Acclimated

 My first day of classes for this semester is tomorrow, and I'm sure most people are starting sometime this week too. School is going to look a lot different for most of us, so I just wanted to talk about getting acclimated (or re-acclimated) to school for the semester. 

My classes are all online this semester, so I don't have worry about the hazards that come with physically going to class amidst all things Covid. However, I did want to talk about what attending class in-person is going to look like, at least on my campus, for this semester.

Just a disclaimer- I clearly don't work for the CDC and I am not an expert on all things Covid. These are just common precautions we have been urged to take and should all be taking.

Don't Be Caught Without a Mask

Masks are required in every building on campus, but especially in classrooms and lecture halls. As inconvenient as wearing a mask may seem, it is pretty much the only way to protect yourself and the people around you from getting sick. We all have to do our part in keeping Covid from spreading- on campus and off campus. 

Of course, forgetting masks happens. I know I've done it. Wearing a mask everywhere we go was an abrupt adjustment we all had to make to our lives, so it's understandable if it slips your mind sometimes. In the even that you do forget your mask, I have seen that there are masks in the vending machines in numerous buildings around campus. Classrooms are also supposed to be equipped with a limited supply of the disposable, surgical type masks daily for students and faculty who may have forgotten their masks. Another cool thing I've noticed quite a few schools, including UNCG, doing is giving out free masks (safely and socially distanced, of course) around campus during the first week or so back.

I mentioned the importance of wearing masks to class and inside buildings, but I wanted make sure I outlined other instances where wearing a mask is important, so check those out right below:

  • On the campus shuttles or when using ride-share like Uber or Lyft
  • Walking around campus, like outside, when it is not possible to be at least 6 feet apart from the people around you
    • If you're literally the only one walking in that area, you can take your mask off for a little fresh air if you feel comfortable. I do this sometimes and then put my mask back on as soon as I see other people.
    • If you live in on campus housing, you should wear your mask in all common or shared spaces in the building. 
      • From what I have heard/read it is ok to not wear a mask if you are in your room with your roommate. However, it is important that you all have open communication about how you all are feeling and who you've been around or where you've been, in relation to Covid concerns.
    • If you live in off campus housing but still have roommates (or housemates, whatever the kids call them), you should use your discretion when it comes to whether or not you will wear your mask outside of your room.
      • Again, communication is very important, We all have to work together to keep each other safe and healthy.
    Talk to Your Professors

    These truly are unprecedented times we are living in, so the phrase "shit happens" is probably the most relevant in my repertoire at the moment. Pardon my French, of course. What I mean by this is- people are going to sick, unfortunately. Schedules are going to be crazy. Adjusting to all of the newness is going to take people some time. Whatever the case may be, just be willing to keep that line of communication open with your professors. If you are sick, don't go to class and reach out. If something comes up, reach out. We have to remember that as intimidating as they may seem sometimes, professors are here to help us and they are going through all of the craziness right now too.

    Give Yourself Time

    With all of the major shifts and adjustments that may be coming your way this semester, it's important to give yourself time. Give yourself time to settle and truly adjust. 

    When it comes to classes- give yourself time to study, give yourself time to get work done, and give yourself time to absorb what's being presented to you. As an overachiever who also does most things last minute, I've had to come to terms with the fact that in the midst of all of this with my usual routine being flipped upside down, I have to do better at making time for myself to get things done to avoid burnout. 

    I think giving yourself time is important just with the unpredictability of everything too. It's like we never really know what's going to change on a day-to-day basis right now, so it's important to not put things off till the last minute and pile so much on yourself.


    Outside of the whole academic piece of it all, I wanted to talk about something that really bothered me this past weekend (with my school specifically) and over the past two weeks with other schools.

    The Partying Has to Stop

    I get that socializing is an aspect of college that a lot of people look forward to. I completely get that. However, things have to be different now. No one is saying we all have to be hermits, but we have to be smart. You can still make friends and hang out, in small groups (less than 10 people inside, socially distant, WITH masks). Gathering outside is cool too, but the masks and the social distancing should 100% still be implemented. Right now, we should never be packed like sardines anywhere, inside or outside- especially not around people we don't know I saw multiple house parties (thrown by frats, of course), with at least 20-30 people at them and literally no one pictured was wearing a mask, and of course there's not even enough room in those houses and apartments for that many people to be able to stand 6 feet apart.

    Just don't do it. Period. There is no party that is more important than your life, or other people's lives for that matter. Seeing so many people blatantly disregarding Covid guidelines to be packed into a hot frat house and listen to Lil Yachty really irked me to my core. Seeing people in huge swarms outside isn't any better either- masks or not, there shouldn't be that many people that close together. Masks only protect us from so much. We have to keep our distance and we have to stay out of large groups or crowds. It's really not that hard. People are putting health and lives at risk, not to mention potentially getting campuses closed down again for parties. The selfishness just keeps jumping out. Like I said, don't.


    With all of that being said,

    I truly hope that everyone has a safe and healthy semester. The world is crazy right now and a lot of things are up in the air, so it's important that we try to keep ourselves grounded- on top of doing our part to keep ourselves and others safe and healthy. I know that it may feel like you are sacrificing fun, or "the college experience," but I promise you those things are what you make of them. It can be a good year without the parties and events, and sacrificing those parties and events is one of the best things we can do right now to help make sure we all see another year.

    So, keep your head up. Wear your mask, pay attention to how you feel, keep in touch with the people you love, be open to change, and drink your water.

     

    Comments

    Popular Posts