Let's Talk About It

There is this annoying stigma in relation to therapy, and I want to talk about it, so let's talk about it.


I want to preface this by saying there is absolutely nothing wrong with seeing a therapist or a mental health clinician of any sort. There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed of. Additionally, I think it is worth pointing out that seeing a therapist doesn't mean that there's something "wrong" with you, and that people with mental illnesses who see therapists don't have anything "wrong" with them. Let's not go around slapping labels on people for doing the work to better themselves and heal themselves.

 Ok, now that we've gotten that little mini rant out of the way, let's move on to the big stuff.

Repeat after me: therapy is not just for people who are living with mental illnesses, and everyone should see a therapist at least once in their lifetime. Yes, you read that correctly. I am a firm believer that everyone (and their mama) should see a therapist if they have the opportunity and ability to. Mental health services are not always accessible to people in underserved communities, but when free or low-cost services become available in your area, you should definitely take advantage of them if you need them. I personally can only afford to see a therapist when I'm on campus during the school year, so I definitely take advantage of that as much as I can, especially when I'm having a tough time.

The reason I say that everyone should see a therapist at least once is because therapy is an amazing resource that can help you navigate transitional periods in your life (transition to college, transition to living on your own, transition in or out of a relationship- I could name a million, alright), manage stress levels (because stress is inevitable the older we get and the crazier the world gets), and just provide you a setting where you can speak your mind to someone who is impartial and is equipped to actively listen to and truly hear you. We are not built to weather every storm by ourselves, and sometimes we need to confide in someone who can give us the tools we need to deal with what we're up against, regardless of what it may be.

For a very long time, I was anti-therapy. I, like a lot of people, grew up under the impression that it was bad to talk about things I felt or things I experienced. It wasn't until I was already in my 20s, and had already been through a world of shit (pardon the language), that I realized I am not equipped with the hardware to keep everything to myself. No one is equipped with the hardware to keep everything to themselves. The first time I saw a therapist was a little nerve wrecking, but that initial nervousness was followed by a huge sigh of relief when I realized I was in a safe space and I could say whatever I wanted or needed to without having to worry about being looked at weird or being told to be quiet. It was a judgment free zone and I was in control of the conversation, and I think everyone should have access to that environment and be able to experience that release.

Another really important thing is that if you think you may have a mental illness, there is no harm in finding out, and you could honestly gain some really helpful coping mechanisms and skills just from talking to a therapist. I will be the first one to tell you that there is nothing "wrong" with having a mental illness, and while it may not be what you picture as your ideal, it is not impossible to navigate and not something you should have to shoulder all on your own. When I realized that for myself, it made seeking help a little less scary to think about and a bit easier to go through with. I had a professor one semester who said "If you had the flu or broke a bone, you would go to the doctor without hesitation. Why would you not do that for your mental health if you could?" and that really put things into perspective for me as far as my resistant attitude toward therapy. Different things works for everyone for sure, but therapy as a means of treatment or management is definitely worth it if you have the access and opportunity.

I say all of this because I am extremely passionate when it comes to advocating for mental health and healthy coping mechanisms. One of the biggest reasons I finally decided to go to college was because I wanted to learn as much as I could about the way our minds work in relation to stress, trauma, and mental health as a whole. As a result of my own experience with mental health ups and downs, I have always been interested in figuring these things out. Now that I am a year away from finishing my time in undergrad, and I have seen the way the our world affects people's mental health, I am dedicated to pushing for more accessible mental health services for everyone, regardless of socioeconomic status or race or ethnicity. Everyone should have access to the resources and services they need to preserve their mental health, as well as help them deal with any stressors in their lives. I want to be a therapist myself (shocker, right?), but I also want to build free and low-cost community mental health resources to serve people in areas where these resources aren't available to people who need them most.

We need to be having conversations about mental health.
 We need to be having conversations about mental health care and resources. These conversations have to happen, and this won't be the last time I touch on the subject. Take care.

Comments

Popular Posts